Sunday, March 14, 2010

Breadsticks

OK. I know I am totally late with this post but I just wanted to join the list of Kiki's fans! I received my copy of her lovely book "Little kitchen ― breads & doughs" as soon as it came out.


I quickly made the delicious recipe for cinnamon rolls but unfortunately they were so delicious that we ate all of them before we could take a photo.

Kiki's instructions are very clear and easy to understand (for those who don't read Greek you'll just have to email Kiki and ask her to translate a recipe for you) and I only had a minor problem making them, which was nothing to do with the recipe but rather the fact that my house was too cold to rise the dough and I had to put them in the oven on a low temperature. I should have thought of that at the beginning, but I was so excited about trying out a recipe, it didn't occur to me that it was really cold in the house that day!

So finally the other day I got the chance to make another recipe from the book. This time I made some of the breadsticks. I thought it would be a great thing to make with the kids, especially after watching Kiki make them in her TV debut the night before.


We made the feta/beer breadsticks and the poppyseed sticks that she made on the show! The kids had a really good time. They were really fast to make and the kids had a great time rolling them out and twisting them into shapes. Not to mention the fun they had eating them when they were done. They cook quickly, too, which is another reason they're a great thing to make with the kids. Quick results with minimum effort. I deliberately made two recipes so there was no chance we could eat them all before we took some photographs.


We had a little pease pudding left that I'd made for lunch that day so we used it for dipping!


So if you read Greek and haven't already got hold of a copy, I strongly recommend that you do. You won't be sorry. You can find out more about how to get hold of a copy from Kiki's blog - Mikri Kouzina (Greek for "Little Kitchen").

Liz

2 comments:

  1. These look wonderful. Better work on my Greek so I can enjoy books like Kiki's!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, I agree with Cheryl..
    but I have got a new laptop with greek letters on it and I can switch from greek to english at the press of a button...but I don't know how to put the stress above a letter...duh!!
    It's funny seeing you mention fava as pease pudding..all our visitors mention the fact that it tastes like pease pudding..

    ReplyDelete