Monday, July 1, 2013

Cheat's cinnamon roll ice-cream



A little while ago (oh alright, so it was last summer) a twitter friend mentioned his longing for some cinnamon bun ice cream that isn't available here in Greece. I, of course, immediately googled said ice cream, it sounded divine, so I wondered if I could make my own version. The main ingredients seem to be caramel ice cream and chunks of cinnamon roll.

I decided to give it a go.  You could do the whole thing form scratch, churn your own ice-cream and then make your own cinnamon roll dough and so on, but I wasn't in the mood to make  a whole batch of cinnamon roll dough. So the first thing to do would be to cheat on the cinnamon roll and then buy some nice quality vanilla ice cream.

I got a pack of ready-made croissant dough and before baking them added cinnamon and brown sugar.


Then I took my vanilla ice cream, softened it, then added some shop-bought caramel sauce. Then firmed it up again.

When the croissants were ready and still warm, I chopped them roughly and added them to the ice cream.


Finally to add a little crunch, I crushed some caramel sweets and sprinkled over the top!


So, summing up:
1. Make little cinnamon rolls by adding cinnamon and brown sugar to croissant dough or pizza base dough (Pillsbury for example);
2. Swirl some caramel sauce through your softened ice cream, then firm up again;
3. When the cinnamon rolls are still warm, chop into chunks and mix into ice- cream;
4. Sprinkle over crushed caramels;
5. Scoff the whole lot in one sitting.


The good thing about doing it this way is that it's ready pretty quickly in a few easy steps. You could even make this with plain frozen yoghurt for slightly fewer calories... or not. If you went the whole way and made everything from scratch, it would be a really gourmet dessert, but, to be honest, it's totally unnecessary.




No comments:

Post a Comment